Community Build Days
Unique to our organization, the Edgewater Reads crew hosts a series of Little Free Library (LFL) Community Build Days throughout the year! We feature a locally designed little library model that is both efficient with materials and effective in Chicago's weather. Kits are provided to community members free of charge on Community Build Days, or by request, and to outside members for a small donation!
Before the Build Day
- RSVP to ensure you have a kit reserved!
- Download and print the DIY Little Free Library Building Guide.
- Ask a friend to join you on the build day to help assemble your new library.
- Feel free to bring your own tools:
- Phillips-Head Screw Drivers
- Safety Glasses
- Caulk Gun
On Community Build Day!
- Meet us at our build location in appropriate building attire (building can get messy)!
- Bring your DIY guide, building buddy, and any tools you may have.
- Coordinate transportation- you will be building your very own Little Free Library to take home!
- If you live outside of the community, we encourage a $50 donation per LFL.
- We recommend priming the Little Free Library before you paint to help withstand the outside elements.
- Once you have your Little Free Library decorated the way you'd like it, contact Edgewater Reads to coordinate a free installations!
- Call a safe dig service prior to our installs! We recommend People's Gas (312-744-700).